We work with referring dentists to ensure the roots of their patients natural dentition are maintained in optimum health. We aim to provide the patient and referring dentist with the most predictable and healthy foundations for their fillings, crowns and bridges.
Alastair MacDonald BDS MSD FDS RCPS(Glasg)
Alastair MacDonald qualified BDS from Glasgow University in June 1985. During the 5 years he spent in General Dental Practice in Glasgow, he decided to specialise in Endodontics. After a fact finding mission to the USA, where Endodontics has been an ADA accredited speciality since 1963, he entered a full-time 2 year programme in 1990 at Indiana University and qualified with a Certificate of Postgraduate Study (2 years) and Master of Science in Dentistry in 1992. His thesis, titled Evaluation of an Apatite Cement as a Root End Filling Material, was published in the Journal of Endodontics in December 1994.
On returning to Scotland, Alastair established the first, and still the only, dedicated Endodontic referral practice. After 10 years in the West End of Glasgow, Alastair moved his practice to Charing Cross in October 2004. Referrals are taken from General and Specialist dentists from all over Scotland and beyond.
In 2015 Alastair was awarded a Fellowship in Dental Surgery from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow in recognition of his attainments and experience in dentistry.
General Dental Council registration number 60071
Alastair MacDonald has been involved in endodontic education since 1993, lecturing extensively to dentists throughout the UK and internationally. In 2003 he was employed in Glasgow Dental School Postgraduate MSc. Primary Care programme and in 2003-05 he taught part-time in the Endodontic Graduate programme of the Eastman Dental Institute in London where he was an Honorary Clinical Lecturer in Endodontology. He is currently a Specialty Doctor in the Restorative Department of Glasgow Dental School and an Honorary Clinical Teacher in the College of Medicine, Veterinary and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow.
Alastair continues to be involved in endodontic education and recently, with like-minded colleagues, formed the Scottish Endodontic Study Group.
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (B.D.S.) – June 1985, Glasgow University, Scotland, UK
- Certificate of Postgraduate Study in Endodontics (2 years), July 1992, Indiana University, USA
- Master of Science in Dentistry (M.S.D.) Endodontics, December 1992, Indiana University, USA
- Fellowship of Dental Surgery, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, April 2015
- American Association of Endodontics – full active member
- British Endodontic Society
- Langham Endodontic Study Group
- Scottish Endodontic Study Group (Founder Member and Chairman)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Fellow of the American College of Dentists
- American Dental Society of Europe (Hon. Secretary 2004 to 2010)
- American Association of Dental Insultants (President 2016)
- Glasgow Odontological Society
- British Dental Association
- American Dental Association
- Chicago Dental Society